I got back from an epic trip to Barcelona and Portugal last week and I’m already experiencing withdrawals. The architecture, the petiscos, the pastries…more about that soon.
Luckily, this humble yet flavorful soup helps me pretend I’m still there. It comes together in minutes, and is perfect for hot summer nights when I want to eat clean and don’t really feel like making a real dinner. Especially when the Game of Thrones finale is on.
Start with a few simple ingredients
Throw them in a high speed blender, like a Vitamix.
Top with another drizzle of olive oil and more chopped veggies for a little crunch.
That’s it – you’re done!
- 2 lbs extremely ripe heirloom tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 English hothouse cucumber, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 small shallot, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional: 1 tablespoon hot sauce of choice (I used Tabasco)
- Toppings: 1/2 cup finely chopped veggies (I used red bell pepper and more cucumber), 1 teaspoon olive oil
Note: You can also top with herbs like fresh basil and garlic croutons if you want.
- Place tomatoes, cucumber, shallot, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, hot sauce, and salt in high speed blender
- Blend until completely smooth. Chill overnight.
- Stir before serving. Pour into bowls or cups and drizzle with olive oil and chopped veggies.
- This soup is best chilled so it tastes even better the next day.
- If you like your gazpacho a bit thinner, you can strain it through a sieve or chill it overnight and scoop off the thick part that floats to the tops
- This is really fun to serve as a soup shooter. Just pour into 2 ounce shot glasses.