I love labneh. Its a middle eastern spreadable cheese made of yogurt. It’s a creamy, healthy, and indulgent yet secretly healthy dip. It’s amazing on bagels, with pita bread, or with veggies. I order it at restaurants all the time but recently realized how easy it is to make.
Make this for a healthy, protein-rich appetizer!
- 1.5 cups 5% fat Greek yogurt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 serrano chili or jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped preserved lemon
- First, make the labneh. Add a pinch of salt to your Greek yogurt and stir well. Put the mixture in a cheesecloth and wrap up securely. Place bundle in a large sieve or colander over a large bowl and refrigerate for 12-24 hours. The excess liquid from your yogurt will drain and leave you with labneh.
- Add lemon juice to your labneh, plus salt and pepper to taste. Stir well.
- In a good processor or mortar and pestle, combine garlic, parsley, mint, chili, olive oil, cumin, and 2 tablespoons preserved lemon. Pulse or pound until mixture is smooth and no large chunks remain.
- Stir 2/3 of mixture into labneh. Drizzle remaining 1/3 over labneh and garnish with remaining preserved lemon. Serve with pita chips or fresh crudités.