It’s the last few days of summer, and I just had to find a way to use some of my favorite summer produce: stone fruit and berries.
This is a great dessert to throw together when you have last minute company coming over. I love galettes because they look fancier than they actually are. Readymade pie crusts make them even easier.
The streusel is optional but highly recommended. Pistachio is a natural complement to peach and blackberry. (Have you ever had the blackberry pistachio croissants from Neighbor Bakehouse? If not, go run and get one now. They’re divine. Sold at Sightglass Coffee as well.)
Anyway, pistachio is lovely with stone fruit or berry-based desserts and the introduction of cardamom just elevates it to a new level.
So you start with some ripe peaches, blackberries, a refrigerated pie crust, roasted pistachios, cardamom pods, lemon, butter, flour, sugar, and cornstarch.
You throw together a mixture of sugar, flour, lemon, and cornstarch and coat the peaches with it.
While those flavors mingle, you make the streusel and then layer it on your pie crust.
Pile the fruit on top, starting with the peaches
And then the blackberries
Top with more streusel and bake for 15-20 minutes
Now my whole kitchen smells like fruit and cardamom. Not mad about it…
Ingredients – Pie
- 4 ripe peaches, thinly sliced
- 5 oz box of blackberries
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 refrigerated pie crust (I used store bought)
Ingredients – Streusel
- 1/2 cup roasted, unsalted pistachios
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cardamom pod
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- Pregeat oven to 400 degrees Farenheit
- Using a mortar and pestle or spice grinder, crush cardamom pod seeds.
- Make streusel by combining pistachios, sugar, flour, butter, cardamom. Set aside.
- Make galette filling by combining peaches, brown sugar, cornstarch, and juice of half a lemon.
- Mix until peaches are coated and drain any excess liquid.
- On a lined baking tray, roll out pie crust.
- Sprinkle half of streusel mixture on pie crust, leaving 1.5 inch margin around the perimeter.
- Add the peach mixture, then the blackberries.
- Top with remaining streusel.
- Fold up the edges of the pie crust so they form pleats around the fruit.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.
- If streusel starts browning before your crust does, cover the middle with foil.
- Despite the addition of sugar and cornstarch, some juices may leak from your galette. Don’t sweat it. Galettes are supposed to be “rustic.”
- This is best served immediately. If you have to serve it later, cover with foil and reheat in the oven at 250 degrees for 7-10 minutes, longer if it’s chilled.
- Serve with some vanilla ice cream, sweet whipped cream, or creme fraiche sweetened with honey.
Loved your yummy recipe
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks for the kind words! Your blog looks great too! I’m curious about the pumpkin pakoras recipe.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks a lot 🙂