Kottu roti, or Kothu parotta, is a popular Sri Lankan or South Indian street food. It’s often eaten as a snack after a night of partying. I tried it at the famous Pilawoo’s in Colombo last year and wanted to try re-creating it.
This is a super satisfying meal and a great way to use up whatever vegetables you have lying around. I used onions, carrots, cabbage, and bell peppers in mine. Some people like to add cheese to make cheese kottu. Feel free to do that if it’s your thing.
You start by prepping the veggies and crisping up the parathas, then setting them aside.
Next, you make the base of your sauce by puréeing tomato, onion, ginger, garlic, chilis, and spices. Cook it down a bit.
Then, you throw in the veggies and let your sauce get thick and brown.
Then, at the last stage, you gently fold in your paratha pieces until they’re mixed in. Serve immediately and with lots of lemon!
- 5 frozen parathas
- 1 large tomato, preferably ripe
- 1/2 onion, whole
- 2 green chilis
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Sri Lankan curry powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 head green cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/2 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Cook the parathas according to package instructions. Let cool and tear into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Blend tomato, half onion, green chilis, ginger, and garlic in a blender or food processor until they form a paste.
- Heat olive oil in pan for 1 minute. Add paste. Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add in remaining spices, soy sauce, and tomato sauce. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add chopped onions and cabbage. Cook for 10 minutes, or until cabbage and onions are fully softened.
- Add carrots and bell pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add paratha, stir in gently until all pieces of paratha are coated with sauce and veggies. Cook for 1 minute.
- Serve immediately with lots of lemon wedges.