Nothing says weekend brunch like French toast. Take your French toast to the next level by making it with banana bread instead of regular bread. It’s a great way to eat cake for breakfast and feel fancy.
French toast is typically made with an egg custard, which gives it a tender inside and a nice crispy crust on the outside. This simple eggless version achieves the same crispy-yet-tender texture using cornstarch and flaxseed meal. It can easily be made vegan by swapping out the milk and butter for vegan alternatives.
To make this, I used my favorite vegan banana bread from Trader Joe’s. Feel free to use whatever your favorite banana bread is, whether that’s store bought or homemade. Just make sure you use bread at least a few days old and cut the slices thick (3/4 inches).
The recipe itself is pretty quick and easy. You start by making a quick batter from milk, cornstarch, flaxseed meal, and cinnamon. Flaxseed is a common egg substitute because it mimics the gooey, gelatinous texture of eggs when combined with a hot liquid. It works great here, just as it does in cakes and other baked goods.
Next, you dip your bread in your batter and place it in a pan with melted butter.
Then, cook your banana bread for a few minutes on either side until you get this beautiful toasted caramelized texture.
Garnish with toppings and you’re done!
I served this with tart berries to balance out the sweetness of the bread, but you could also try this with bananas foster – caramelized bananas with bourbon – if you’re feeling extra fancy.
- 1/2 cup milk plus some extra
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 slices banana bread, 3/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or nonstick cooking spray
- Berries for garnish
- Powdered sugar for garnish
- In a microwave safe bowl, microwave milk for 30 seconds. Add cornstarch, cinnamon, and flaxseed meal. Whisk together until combined. Let sit for 3 minutes to let mixture thicken. Mixture will be gooey.
- Using a griddle or shallow frying pan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-low heat.
- Dip 2 slices of bread in milk mixture for 2-3 seconds. Repeat on the opposite side. Note: Your batter should be about the consistency of pancake batter. Feel free to thin it down with a little more milk if it gets too thick. Gently remove any excess batter from your bread using a teaspoon or butter knife.
- Place coated slices of banana bread in pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. Repeat with remaining tablespoon of butter and slices of banana bread.
- Serve with fresh berries and a sprinkle of powdered sugar. Sift your powdered sugar through a sieve to get that picture perfect Pinterest-y look.
How to veganize this recipe
Substitute the milk with any plant-based milk, like oat milk, soy milk, or almond milk.
Substitute the butter with unsalted vegan butter or cooking spray.