This is a great weekday lunch or dinner if you’re craving bold, Mexican inspired flavors but want to watch your carbs. It’s a one dish meal, which means less cleanup. I buy riced cauliflower from Trader Joe’s to save a step, but if you don’t have one near you, you can also rice cauliflower in a food processor. For the enchilada sauce, I recommend using Hatch brand red enchilada sauce (found at most grocery stores), but you can use whatever your favorite is.
- 16 ounces riced cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup Hatch red enchilada sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili lime salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder or to taste
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend plus more for serving
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Green onions for serving
- Sour cream (or Greek yogurt) for serving
- Sliced avocado for serving
- Heat a sauce pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and let warm up. Add shallot and cook until it starts to get translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, bay leaf, oregano, paprika, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Stir together and cook for another minute.
- Add tomato paste and cauliflower and stir until cauliflower is evenly coated. Cook until cauliflower is tender like rice, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add enchilada sauce, black beans and cheese and stir. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in lime juice.
- Garnish with sour cream, avocado, and green onions.