I’ve started to hear more and more instances of people using fruit in savory dishes and veggies in sweet dishes. I have to say, I’m intrigued.
I’ve come across recipes for plum ketchup, pineapple tacos, and strawberry guac…all of which blow my mind but sound like they’re worth trying…at least once.
The other day, one of my best friends was coming over for a Bollywood music video marathon, and I wanted to serve chaat (Indian street snacks). I settled on bhel puri. It’s the perfect “I have friends coming over and I’d like to pretend I’m a proper adult” dish. It’s insanely simple since you can buy ready made bhel mix and chutney at your local Indian grocery store.
From there, the traditional recipe calls for chilis, cilantro, tomatoes, potato, and the occasional green mango. It’s a perfect blend of crunchy, salty, and sweet.
Anyway, this friend hates tomatoes, so it was an opportune time to try subbbing in strawberries. They’re a little tart, like tomatoes, and a bit sweet, like mangos.
And I love the avocado-strawberry pairing in spinach salads, so I thought avocado would be great in place of the potato. Both are creamy and comforting, but the avocado helps us keep the illusion that we are healthy California girls who eat low carb.
The result is something truly unique: a fun, fresh California twist on a classic Indian street food. It’s a revised take on that familiar, irresistible dance of salty, tart, and sweet.
Serve with a cold Kingfisher beer, rose wine, or vodka pani puri.
- 7 oz bhel mix (store bought)
- 1 medium sized avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped strawberries
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 small de-seeded chopped green chili*
- 3 tablespoons green chutney
- 2 tablespoons red (tamarind) chutney
- Black salt to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
*Serrano, or jalapeno, depending on your spice tolerance and availability of ingredients in your grocery store
- In large bowl, mix all ingredients until combined.
- Portion into paper cones or bowls, garnish with more cilantro (if desired), and serve immediately.