This delicious smoothie reminds me of those orange creamsicle bars I used to eat as a kid – a little tangy, a little sweet, and super refreshing. I used blood oranges since they’re in season and I’m obsessed with them, but this would work well with regular oranges too.
Note: If you want to up the protein content, feel free to add a scoop of your favorite vanilla protein powder. Note: Some protein powders have a bit of an aftertaste so proceed with caution.
- 1 banana, peel removed, frozen*
- 1.5 cups blood orange segments, pith and seeds removed, frozen*
- 3/4 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional)
*Note: I find it easiest to peel, cut and measure out the oranges and bananas, then freeze them in an airtight container or ziplock freezer bag until you’re ready to use them. Turns out that peeling a banana after it’s frozen is really hard.
- Place frozen banana, frozen orange, orange juice, Greek yogurt, and vanilla extract in blender. Add protein powder if using.
- Blend at high speed until smooth and creamy.
- Taste and add ice to taste. Process until smooth and creamy.